It is time to uncover that secret pie recipe of your grandmother's, or start discovering your inner baking skills to create a new peach pie recipe of your own. The 2012 Missouri State Fair and the annual "First Lady's Pie Contest" is quickly approaching, and we are looking for a taste of your special and favorite pie!
All pies are welcome, fruit or non-fruit, although there are a few rules to keep in mind.
1. Registration for the contest must be done prior to August 2, 2012, and only one entry or recipe is allowed per person.
2. All pies must be baked and delivered to the Home Economics Building by 9:45 a.m. on August 16, 2012. The judging process will begin at 10:00 a.m.
3. Amateur bakers of any age may participate in the contest, meaning that any individual whose primary income is a result of their baking skills is not elligible to enter. This includes professional bakers, caterers, or any certified chefs.
4. An official Missouri State Fair Recipe Form must be submitted with the Home Economics Exhibitor's Entry Form. This must include preparation time, exact measurements of ingredients, temperature and length of baking, and any other details. The pie must be baked in a 9 inch, round aluminum pie pan.
5. The pie recipe must be original and not previously published, and the pie crust and filling must be completely homemade. No pre-made pie crusts or fillings of any sort is permitted.
6. Any pie containing eggs, such as a soft pie, must be brought to the Home Economics Building in an iced cooler. The pie will be left in the cooler until it is time to start judging.
7. Soft pies and fruit pies will be judged seperately. The first place winner of each category will compete to win "Best of Show".
So grab a mixer, your oven mitts and even some local produce and start gearing up for pie time at the Missouri State Fair!